Tuesday, 17 November 2015 00:00

Do I Need to Treat My Bermuda Tank Water

The truth is many of us don't spend much time thinking about the quality of our drinking water. In Bermuda, we have always been taught that tank water was excellent water. Often we are lulled into a false sense of security that our water quality is top-notch, while in reality there may be alarming amounts of contaminants in our residential water supply.

For home owners with a tank, (which is the majority of us), the issue of water quality is more prevalent than those supplied by Watlington Water or a well. Well owners are generally more aware of the need for some vigilance in monitoring water quality, especially those located near potential sources of run-off including agricultural run-off. Well owners should be testing their water on a regular basis (at least 4 times a year) and they must take special care to have the water tested for micro-biological contamination (bacterial and viral pathogens) regularly too.

Micro-biological contamination, most commonly bacterial pathogens such as E.coli and Coliform can be a major cause for concern as these pathogens can do great harm to your health. The presence of either of these pathogens simply must not be tolerated and you must take action to ensure your water is free of contamination by killing these organisms before they get a chance to infect your family. In Bermuda, there are many sources of contamination including; bird waste, rodent waste, vegetation, vehicle emissions, diesel electric power plant, waste incinerator byproducts, roof paint products etc.

Traditional disinfection (Proper Maintenance of Tank Water Systems) has been done by adding chlorine (usually chlorine bleach) to the tank and waiting for a period of time while the bacteria are killed. This process is cumbersome and in addition must be done on a regular basis as new pathogens are introduced into the tank.

Those supplied (Watlington Water) water should not think that they are necessarily immune from water quality problems. The chemical-free way to ensure that your water is completely safe is to use Ultra Violet light (UV) to kill all bacterial and viral pathogens in real time (as you use the water) and around the clock. UV is a time-tested technology, completely safe, absolutely effective and environmentally sound. There is no better way to ensure safe drinking water, and no more cost effective method per unit volume.

UV systems are available in a wide range of sizes to suite the smallest residence to the largest. Maintenance is minimal (change filters 2-3 times a year and a lamp once a year) and the system is ready to work for you all year, without the hassle of buying, storing and using harsh chemical treatments.

UV is the environmentally superior option as no by-products are produced and there is never any risk of chemical overdosing in water treatment. UV is the future of safe, sustainable water purification and this is proven by the number of municipalities now installing UV as a primary disinfection technology to serve their customers.

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter the (*) required information where indicated. HTML code is not allowed.